Fear not. Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith.

President Thomas S. Monson

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Ambiguity

Ambiguous
adjective

lacking clearness or definiteness; obscure; indistinct, 

open to or having several possible meanings or interpretations



Some people have told me that I tend to be ambiguous or vague on the internet (i.e. my blog, facebook). I guess that sometimes I need to express myself but I don't want everyone knowing exactly what is going through my head. Other times, I do it subconsciously. For example, about a month and a half ago I used the word "Submitted" on Facebook. Nothing more than that. I was expressing how excited I was that I had submitted my final teaching portfolio. Apparently it could be taken a different way. There were some people who thought that I had submitted my mission papers. When I wrote that word on Facebook it didn't even occur to me that people might take it in the wrong way. Simple seemed like the way to go. But I'm not complaining. It could have been a worse mistake. Not to mention, I ended up submitting my mission papers a month later so all is well. Some of the people who are closest to me usually understand what my ambiguous ramblings are about. If they don't, then they usually ask me what in the world I'm talking about. Sometimes its kind of nice to know that even though most of the world doesn't have a clue what you are saying, there are a few people you love so much and know you enough to know exactly what you are saying. 

So now I have these feelings I want to express. But how do I write something so ambiguous that even the people who know me best won't know what I'm saying?

1 comment:

Amanda Schroeder said...

I Love this! Sometimes I wonder what you're saying but don't know you well enough to know! Ah!

I feel like my last post MAY have been just a little ambiguous. I tell my mama everything. EVERYTHING. And though I'm going through a really rough trial right now, she still asked if it was what she thought it was. Because I don't like to pour every single feeling and thought out at once. Sometimes, I like to be ambiguous :)

we&serendipity