Fear not. Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith.

President Thomas S. Monson

Thursday, October 4, 2012

This wonderful thing we call a body.

I was sitting in class today and one of my peers was at the front of the class reading us a book. All of a sudden I thought of my eyes. I thought about how incredible my eyes are, that I can see her and the book that she is reading. I thought about how my brain can process what I am looking at. 

I had a wave of gratitude come over me. My body is wonderful. I think about all the amazing things that my body can do. It regulates my breathing, heart rate, and temperature among other things. My body can move in so many different ways. My skin protects everything inside of me. My heart pumps blood to my brain and the rest of my body. My muscles allow me to do more things than I can even comprehend. I eat food and my body takes that food, absorbs the nutrients, digests it, and gets rid of what it doesn't need. My body is capable of conceiving children. 

I can see. I can hear. I can touch. I can taste. I can smell. 

And what about my brain? And my immune system? And what about all those nerves and veins and bones?

Those are all things that most healthy people have. I haven't even started to mention the things that make me different from everyone else. I'm 5' 9". I have those weird optic nerves behind my eyeballs. I have wavy red hair that I love and got from my father. I am allergic to grass and many trees and weeds. I have freckles. I have my mother's brown eyes.

I am not an expert on the body. I actually know very little about it. But I know enough to know that it is amazing. I am incredibly grateful for my Heavenly Father who gave me this wonderful body.


1 comment:

Bethany said...

I don't think those are your feet.